Tuesday 6 November 2012

Questions to Ask your Surgeon before Orthognathic Surgery



Questions for your Surgeon
Presented here is a list of questions you may want to ask your surgeon before undertaking orthognathic surgery.
  • What exactly are you doing to do in the surgery?
  • Are there any alternatives to the surgery you have proposed?
  • Have you done this type of surgery before?
  • How many people have you treated who are similar to my case?
  • Will I have to have more than one operation?
  • What are the benefits of undertaking this surgery?
  • What are the risks of having this surgery?
  • Are the risks higher depending on your age?
  • Will this surgery affect my jaw joints and nerves?
  • What is the risk of infection?
  • What would happen if I decide not to have the surgery?
  • What happens if the surgery is not successful?
  • Realistically, what should I hope for after the surgery, in terms of the way I look and how it affects my jaw function?
  • Will you be using rubber bands to hold my jaw after surgery or will you be wiring my jaw closed? (Please make your surgeon aware if you have a latex allergy).
  • Will the plates and screws be permanently left in?
  • If applicable, what will happen if I am allergic to the titanium plates?
  • Will you have to remove my wisdom teeth before or during surgery?
  • Are there any long term issues following surgery? (For example; sinus infections, sensitive and weak teeth, pain caused by the plates or problems with excessive bone growth).
  • How long does the operation take?
  • Will I have to stay in hospital? If so, how long will I be in hospital for?
  • Will I go into intensive care after the operation or a normal ward?
  • Will I have my own room after surgery?
  • Will you be using a bite plate during surgery? And if so will you be leaving the bite plate in place after the surgery?
  • What are my options in terms of pain relief after the surgery?
  • What happens if I vomit and I am unable to open my mouth?
  • Will I be able to talk normally?
  • Will I be able eat and what will I be able to eat?
  • Will there be any external scarring?
  • As some people tend to suffer numbness after this type of procedure… How long before I have complete feeling back?
  • How long will it take for the broken jaw to repair fully and be stable?
  • How long will it take to fully recover?
  • How will I keep my mouth clean if I am unable to brush my teeth?
  • On estimate, how much weight should I expect to lose when I am on a soft food diet?
  • How long after surgery will I have to wear my braces?


Available now




To find out more click on the link below:


If you would like to be kept informed about the latest work I am undertaking and want to receive more content from the Jaw & Face charity project, you can subscribe for FREE on the link below. 

You can now continue the chat and speak with other patients on my new closed Facebook group:


Looking forward to connecting with you soon!

Lots of love always,

Steffie


x.x.x





No comments:

Post a Comment