Monday 4 March 2013

Problems with Braces



Finally, here is a list of some of the problems I experienced physically whilst having braces. Please note that if you experience any difficulties with your braces, pain in or around your mouth or experience any bleeding you should first seek out medical advice from your dentist or orthodontist to ensure that there are no other underlying issues. Additionally, consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medication to treat your symptoms.

Breakages – During my time with braces I was lucky to only have two breakages. As soon as you notice something is broken or you feel something is out of place, it is imperative to see your orthodontist as soon as possible. It is amazing how quickly the teeth move so do not delay fixing the problem.

Ulcers – I suffered badly with ulcers at the front of my mouth throughout the course of my treatment. I often used Bonjela (the children’s teething gel). It would sting really badly at first but after a while you would get relief from the gel numbing the area. Paracetamol and a good night’s sleep would also help. I found my ulcers were worse when I felt run down or tired. If the ulcers were too painful and I needed a release I would also buy the cotton swabs used by dentists and place them where the ulcers were. This stopped the brace rubbing on the sore area and gave the ulcer time to heal and become less inflamed.

Sensitive teeth – throughout my time with braces I would often encounter bouts of painful and sensitive teeth. I found rubbing Sensodyne toothpaste on my teeth and around my gums to be beneficial. I also used Sensodyne mouthwash during this time. If the pain was too intense I would take some pain relief until the symptoms subsided.

Bleeding gums – I had this issue as the brace work was quite low on my teeth and I had reseeding gums from brushing my teeth and gums too hard. I invested in a softer bristle manual brush (Sensodyne sensitive toothbrush) and made sure I did not scrub so hard along the gum line.

I hope you enjoyed reading this article and find the information useful whilst undertaking orthodontic treatment. If you would like any more information on braces, jaw surgery, orthognathic surgery or facial pain do not hesitate to drop me a message on my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/steffiesstuff or alternatively you add me on twitter: www.twitter.com/jawandface I look forward to hearing from you.






Available now




To find out more click on the link below:


If you would like to be kept informed about the latest work I am undertaking and want to receive more content from the Jaw & Face charity project, you can subscribe for FREE on the link below. 

Additional to this, if you have not already, please join me on my Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and google+ accounts. Stay tuned for more useful booklets and YouTube videos coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment