Tuesday 11 November 2014

Hair Loss After Surgery & The UK Blog Awards

So we are now 3 years post Orthognathic Surgery and 2 years post titanium plate removal. All is not perfect, but it is ok. Jaw & Face is still going strong and I am currently working with King’s College and Saving Faces to conduct research into facial pain conditions and maxillofacial surgery. 

Even more exciting news….

I have been nominated for the UK Blog Awards 2015. I have worked so hard over the past few years and I am so grateful for the opportunity. It would make my year if you could take a second of your time to vote for my blog. 




Now on to more important matters….


Recently, there has been a surge in patients who are noticing their hair falling out after surgery. So this is why I have decided to print a free extract from my “What they don’t tell you about Orthognathic Surgery” eBook. As you are all aware none of the money I raise from my “Jaw Surgery Survival Packs” goes into my personal fund. It is used to maintain the websites and to fund research and data collection for people like us. So if you like what you read than please check out my ePack on the link below. 


HAIR LOSS AFTER SURGERY


As with any type of surgery, orthognathic surgery can have a traumatic effect on your general health and wellbeing. Along with the stress that you may feel before and after the operation, the anaesthetic can make your body go into shock and react in a negative way. This can cause numerous problems from low mood to hair loss. Several weeks post operation my hair became very thin and would alternate from dry and lifeless to greasy and flat. My hair started to fall out in clumps when I washed, brushed or combed it. Hair would fall out onto the floor and on my clothing throughout the day. Thankfully I had long and thick hair prior to surgery so I was able to retain enough to cover my head. 
This was a very stressful time and I went to seek my GP’s advice. My GP ordered for me to have my blood examined and report on my vitamin levels. At the same time as the hair loss I was also very pale and had translucent gums. My dentist had advised that I start to take a multivitamin that included iron. My GP suspected that iron deficiency may be the cause for my excessive hair loss and low energy levels.  When the results returned, it was found that I had post-operative stress related hair loss and that my vitamin levels were normal. I did not have an iron deficiency.

As there was nothing my GP could do for me, I set about resolving this issue myself. After hours of researching I decided to try omega 3,6 and 9 fish oils and took a tablet once a day. At the same time I went to get my dead hair trimmed at the hairdressers and underwent an extensive conditioning regime. I reduced the amount of times I washed my hair per week. Within a couple of weeks I could see improvements and within a few months my hair was growing back and in a much better condition. However, after a couple of months I started to experience more hair loss. I sat at the computer and looked through hours of blogs and forums. But to no avail. I started to look at different supplements and decided to take raspberry ketones and green tea. These are both antioxidants and some people claim they have helped to regulate their hair cycle. 

During a normal cycle of hair growth, your hair will grow and then enters into a resting state. This is called a Telogen period. The hair will eventually shed and new hair will grow in its place. When you undergo surgery your body is rushed into a resting state as the body suffers a huge shock or stress. As all your body’s resources are redirected to help heal the injured area, your body will temporarily shut down new hair production. This means that when your old hair sheds in the usual cycle you do not have any new hair formed to take its place.  As your body recovers and gets back to normal, your hair should start to grow back again.

Steffie’s Tips: It is advised to maintain an iron and protein rich diet as soon as you can. I would also advise that you go to your doctor and ask for a blood test to rule out any other conditions. When my hair started to fall out I limited the amount of times I washed my hair. I also invested in a good quality intensive conditioner and wore my hair up in a bun style.  I used a comb opposed to a hair brush as this is less stressful on your hair. Finally, I still take daily vitamins, fish oil tablets, green tea extract and raspberry ketones. 



If you found this useful, check out the Jaw Surgery Survival ePack: 

And if you have ever read and enjoyed my blog please vote for me. It will only take a second.

Thank you so much guys and girls. If I do not speak to you before, I hope that you and your family have a lovely festive period. 

You can now continue the chat and speak with other patients on my new closed Facebook group:


Looking forward to connecting with you soon!

Lots of love always,

Steffie

x.x.x




No comments:

Post a Comment